Friday 20 July 2012

One Man's Opinion: LOST THINGS: A NOVELLA (AN ORIGINAL SHORT STORY)


Lost Things was described as a short story when I bought it, which has now been corrected to 'A Novella (An Original Short Story)'.  It's an important distinction in so many respects, not that the quantity matters when a work is this good. It's superb.

The opening is straightforward enough. A couple of young guys are walking home after a night out when they ate attacked. In an act of self-defence one of the muggers is killed. Evan and Peter spend a while working out whether they should call the police or not. Thing is, they both have plenty to lose.
 

From this point on Rector really turns the screws and sends his main character through the mincer. It's tight, uncomfortable and tense and puts me in mind of some of the best noir writers of all.
 

Outstanding.

And the best thing of all?  I got myself a ticket to see the man himself at the 'Bloody Scotland' festival later this year and this book leaves me with no doubt that I made the correct decision when I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment