Wednesday 7 December 2011

Dancing With Myself: VICTORIA WATSON interviews VICTORIA WATSON


Tell us how you got into writing.


When I was a teenager, I used to write tongue-in-cheek reserve match reports for a Newcastle United fanzine. After that, I got back into writing in 2008 when I became a reviewer for my local newspaper, reviewing plays and gigs. After realising how much I loved doing that, I enrolled for a Masters in Creative Writing at Northumbria University – the best money I ever spent.





Describe for our readers the genre(s) you write in and why they appeal to you as a writer.


I don’t tend to stick to one genre although most of my stories tend to have a twist in the tale and I have to admit my stories don’t tend to have happy endings. I’m interested in human life so I feel just writing in one genre isn’t representative of real life.





Where can we find your work? Where can you be found online?


I have three e-books published by the good folks at Trestle Press; ‘I Should Have Seen it Coming’ about a woman who loses her job and then pretends to be psychic to make a living. ‘Keeping Quiet’ is a retrospective piece where the main character looks back on her life, considering the mistakes she’s made in trying to keep everybody else happy. ‘Inside’ is my most recent release and that features a girl called Annie who is watching the destruction of a building that’s had a massive impact on her life. I also have a story featured in a charity anthology ‘Off the Record’.





How did you get involved in ‘Off theRecord’?


My friend Luca Veste asked if I would write a story for a charity anthology he was working on. I was thrilled to be invited to work on it as there were such awesome authors already involved. Also, the charities that are being helped as massively important to me as they support child literacy in the UK and USA.





Where did you get your idea for ‘Bye Bye Baby’?


The story came before the title and I was lucky that I could find a song title that was relevant.





What inspires you to write?


I have so many stories inside me that just appear from nowhere. I have to get them out, otherwise I don’t sleep. So basically, I write so that I can sleep.





Do you have time to read? If so, what are you reading at the moment?


At the moment, I’m reading ‘Theoretical Fishsticks’ by Sam Lang. I’ve just started it but I’m really enjoying it.





Do you have a favourite all-time read?


I love Roald Dahl so I guess that’s why I like to have twists in my stories. I’ve pretty much loved every story he’s ever written.





Which author(s) would you say have most influenced your writing?


Definitely Roald Dahl. I also love writers like Khaled Hosseini and Harper Lee who use their books to tackle social injustices. I like to read about different cultures and periods of time too.





Are you working on anything new at the moment?


I have about three stories on my mind at the moment, it’s just difficult finding the time especially with Christmas approaching!





What are your hopes for the future?


I’d love to become a full-time writer. I also have plans to set up my own business.





What do you most like about writing? What do you dislike?


I love the experience of writing, I really like bringing characters to life. I really don’t enjoy the editing process though as I get sick of stories very quickly so by the time it gets released, I am no longer a fan as I’ve sickened myself of the story!





What are your strengths and weaknesses as a writer?


I am not the most disciplined person in the world, I often find myself playing Bejewelled when I should be writing. I’m not sure I have any strengths!





Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?


Keep writing, don’t give up – writing is a skill and so you will continue to get better if you keep going .

1 comment:

  1. Vic Watson (known to some as the Human Tasmanian Devil for her propensity to be everywhere at once)
    is one to watch. Her story in Off The Record is amazing. I should Have Seen It Coming is a chillingly quiet account of just how wrong a simple occupation can go; a compelling study of how madness slowly, silently creeps in. Great chat you three (Victoria, Vic and Nigel). Cool.

    ReplyDelete